Maybe "mechanically" isn't the right term here, but I DO thank my father for the mechanically minded brain cells that he passed on to me. I tend to face broken items with a "I can figure this out" attitude. I don't recall a repairman visiting our house at all as I was growing up because if it broken, Dad fixed it. This continued throughout my early adult life at college when the car would break, and Dad would come down to fix. Then, early marriage, Jer and I would look at it, attempt, and call Dad. This continued to the point where one day something broke and either H or Jen said, "better call Pawpaw, because he's a fixer." Now I brag that, "Mommy is a fixer, too."Jeremy is quite mechanically inclined himself. But, right now he is busy with meetings 3 nights a week, so I want our time together in the evenings to be fun and stress free. So, when the disposer in the sink went out Sunday morning, I knew I had a job to do. Surprisingly, I made it until Tuesday before I set out on the new disposer trek. In Lowe's, I studied the various options, ranging from $79 to over $200. I decided I don't really need multiple stages of grinding, and after 4 years of a disposer that sounds like a 747 taking off, "silent" wasn't a feature I needed. After all, no matter what, it's going to sound silent in comparison. Add to that the squeaks and grinding noises the dish washer is making, and silent is pretty overrated. Plus, now that extra cash can be saved for 1. the faucet on the sink that is leaking 2. the replacement dishwasher when this one goes (I give it 6 months to a year). I chose the $99 option, 5 year warranty. There is a dizzying array of various accessories for your disposer which include options for installation. Not really knowing what I needed, I looked to the box which read, "Odds are your old disposer has a Quick Lock sink mount. This makes replacement as simple as removing the old disposer with a twist and installing the new one." The logical, rational side of my brain said, "Yeah, right," but the optimistic, floofy side of my brain said, "Right on!" I went with the floofy side and arrived home with a new disposer.
Step 1: remove old disposer. Really? Ya think? No directions included (unlike the Peerless faucet box which has a VERY clever un-installation manual that even has humor - I'll share that later). So, here is where my invaluable mechanical brain cells come in (thanks, again, Dad). I study the plumbing situation. Upon careful study, I can tell that 3 locations must be disconnected = check. Step 2, disposer must come off of sink. Study (thank you Dad, again), remove = check. Study old sink flange (look it up) so that, as the box said, I can "twist on the new one." Mouth of new disposer is smaller than sink flange - translation, "Odds weren't." Sink flange must be removed.
Final step, remove sink flange = STOP SIGN. Not budging. Well, while stopped, I study the situation and discover that my new disposer needs a plug added; old plug will not come off of old disposer; add to Lowe's list. Head to Lowe's, get plug, wire plug onto disposer (without directions, thankyouverymuch). Wait for Jer to come home to remove flange.
Jer cannot remove flange. Enter Jer with saw (electric, type unknown to me). My hero saws off the flange.
Jer cannot remove flange. Enter Jer with saw (electric, type unknown to me). My hero saws off the flange.
Install new disposer (note: would not let husband help, must complete task on own). Apply plumber's putty (on Lowe's list with plug), install new sink flange (clear instructions, thank you Badger), connect disposer to sing flange (husband did have to lift while I aligned and twisted connector). Reconnect plumbing = STOP SIGN, but we shoved and twisted and made it work. Flip switch on disposer = nothing. Humph. Examine my wiring job (with directions this time), change wires. Flip switch = sound of angels, okay, a lightly whirring disposer. Go to bed at 11:00 pm.
Morning = breakfast, rush rush, put food down disposer for first time. Brush teeth, return to kitchen sink for something to feel the sensation of wetness on my toes. Humph. Yep, leak. New Lowe's list = plastic PVC thingy to connect disposer disposal tube to outflowing plumbing. Take off "thingy" to take with me to Lowe's to avoid having to describe "thingy" to knowledgeable person. Successful trip, return home. Reconnect, twist, water on...SCORE!

I love my new disposer. Of course, right now I can't use it because I started replacing the faucet, but the old faucet won't come off, so we're without a kitchen sink currently...stay tuned for the next installment of Mechanically Inclined...
5 comments:
A Disposal is a pretty intimidating job! Way to go. and...love the pink tools!
pink tools.
The pink tools were a really cool gift from Lisa several years ago at Christmas. They are MY tools (and the ones that everyone uses because we always know where they are).
I cannot believe you did attacked that by yourself...there is no way I could have! Love the pink tools! Enjoy your new disposal! LOL.
You go girl!!! I want some pink tools. I think I'll add them "wish list" for Jasen!
Post a Comment