12.20.2009

Happy Anniversary!

Twelve years ago at this time, I think I was preparing to meet the man of my dreams in the sanctuary of the church. We decided to see each other for the first time in an empty church sanctuary, just the two of us. I remember walking down the aisle toward him, teary eyed. We were able to talk, cry a little, pray, and have just a few moments alone in the middle of a very, very busy day. I treasure that memory (with so many of that day).

This week one of my students in my notorious 3rd period class (notorious because it's taken me until December to get full control and build any sort of relationship with them - very challenging) told me that she would be at church Sunday and "expected" to see me. I explained that I wouldn't be there since I would be celebrating my 12th anniversary with my dear husband. "Why on Earth would you want to be married to anyone for 12 years?!" "Marriage sucks." "Twelve years with ONE person - come on, Miss, that's boring!" These were all comments from the class.

I'm not often at a loss for words. I usually have a clever quip for a comeback or some insightful wisdom to impart. But I was totally.dumb.founded. Silent. At a loss for words.

How can these students have such a horrible view of marriage? How can they NOT want to find the love of their life to make a lifetime commitment? Why is it not appealing?

I guess I've thought about their question since they posed it, "Why would you want to be married for 12 years?" Why, indeed.

From the time I can remember, I prayed for a husband who would be a Christian. I prayed for a husband that would love our children. I prayed for a husband that would love me. I prayed for a husband that would view marriage as it is portrayed in the Bible.

I married a man who loves God above all. A man who loves, cherishes, and protects me. A man who adores, plays, and teaches our children. We are a team. We laugh, cry, fight, and pray together. We enjoy our time together, and we enjoy our time apart. We don't feel as if we "owe" each other anything, but we want to give to each other unconditionally. We find ourselves selfish at times, but we know, from Scripture, that it's not right, and we seek forgiveness and reconciliation. We have security, contentedness, and comfort in our marriage vows. Together we are whole - one.

I can't imagine my life without my beloved. Thank you, dear God, for the gift of my spouse and all that you have blessed us with in the 12 years we have been married.

1 comment:

Lissa Michelle said...

Sweet post...hope you let Jeremy read it. I think the comments of your 3rd period kids (LOL at your description of them) is just a representation of what our society has become. It's so sad. Happy Anniversary to you guys!