1.28.2009

Ice Day

I can't tell you how excited I was last night at 8:00pm when the ice started falling so heavily. Jeremy and I were watching a movie in the living room with the space heaters blasting; the kids were in their rooms watching movies. I believe I jumped up and down with excitement, really. I was so desperately hoping for a delayed start to today. My last check of the GISD website indicated no delay, so I carefully put my cell phone by my bed for "the call." Sure enough, in the 5:00am hour, I got the text that school was delayed. Then, a little later the home phone rang with the automated call of delay. It was sooooo nice to snuggle down under the covers and go back to sleep! Then, sometime later, the home phone rang with the second automated call of cancellation. I have to admit I'm a little bummed about an all day cancellation because now we have to make it up, but I was excited to have a WHOLE day with no commitments!


So, what did the White family do?
Well, first H came and got in bed with us around 7:15. He had a coughing fit, and then settled in. Next thing I remember is he was tapping me. I was very annoyed as I was in that state where you're just about to drift off to sleep, so I said, "Will you please stop?" He said, "I'm gonna throw up." I sprinted to the kitchen to get a bowl. Sure enough, just as I returned with the bowl, he did. He's accurate in that way. If he says he's gonna, he IS gonna. Then Jenna came to bed. Jer got up with them, and I stayed. At 8:45 I woke to the smell of breakfast cooking. My man made me an egg and diced potatoes. Mmmm.

So, we had some family fun - the kids ran around outside a little, Jer and I did our quiet times and read, the kids watched cartoons, built houses on the couch with cushions, played Webkinz, and typed. Then, we reached that moment. You know the one - "Mom, how do you spell 'mommy." So you tell them, and then a second later, "Is this it?" "Yes." This is repeated for many other words. You watch your daughter come through in roller skates, go backward and fall, and then she wants to give you the verbal play by play of what happened, complete with what she was thinking at each moment and it has a lot of filler words such as "like," "and then," and "isn't that funny?" but you just witnessed the whole thing, so it's painful. I guess you say we began to get on one another's nerves. The funniest moment was when H poked Jenna, just a little poke, and she started chasing him. In our house there is a circle, and it was so comical to see Jenna chase Hudson in two perfect circles. It caught Jer and I so off guard we stood with our mouths open, not really knowing what to do or say. Then, we laughed.




Next, Mom and Dad reached the end of their wits, and this is what you saw:


Both kids were sent to their rooms for some time to play in their rooms.

Even Howdy & Maggie got a break: this is in the garage (yes, there is a book shelf in the garage). They had the hook up with a heat lamp & blankets.

We had a great soup lunch, nap, and then the child I can't convince to go play outside when it's gorgeous because she wants to watch TV, gets bundled up and heads outside. She's her father's child - loves the ice/snow. I wanted to take some pictures, but this wasn't even a pretty ice...and it was SO cold!

Overall, we had a terrific day! I think God knew how badly we all needed the time off and time to rest.

No comments: