6.07.2006

Lovin' Summer

I am lovin' summer. Perhaps that means I'll actually start blogging again. Sorry to those of you who do try to keep up with the family through this. I promise to do better, at least until August 15, and then I'll need a way to relieve my agnst - just kidding.

Well, in the three days of summer we have enjoyed, we have gone swimming 5 times (no lie), crafted 6 different craft projects (we're talking glue, scissors, paint, you name it), and left 4, yes, 4, loads of laundry in the floor to be folded. I might have to fold them tomorrow since we're having company for supper. I don't know who's having more fun, me or the kids.

Monday I barricaded the end of the driveway with the car so that I could pull weeds in the front flowerbeds with my helpers. My helpers are easy distracted, so I gave them chalk, bubble guns, and cheerios. Hudson had never chalked before, and I negelected the necessary information for my appointment with the crab grass that is taking over, and he was quite proud of his lime green chalk on Daddy's maroon truck. Good thing chalk just washes right off. He wasn't too impressed with the chalk, but Jenna has re-discovered her love, and now she can actually make letters. So, for those of you who used to be amazed at the chalk outlines of little bodies all up and down our sidewalk in Garland, there are no more homicidal outlines, now we have a barrage of letters - some spelling words, others just beautiful creations. Hudson prefers to 'ride' on the motorcycle or play in the car (keys out, windows down, emergency brake on) or scoot around on his 'motorcycle/tricycle.'

H is a talking machine. He can say anything he wants to. Of course he still prefers fits and screaming, but we're getting there. He is cute as everything and irresistible to all. This is beginning to get to big sister now. Jenna is amazing, absolutely amazing. There is nothing she can't do.

Jeremy is wonderful - still managing to figure out problems before they happen, planning, and having fun. We spent a couple of days dirt biking (me four-wheeling) in Gainsville with church friends two weekends ago (and I still have the bruises and poison ivy to prove all the fun). We arrived at the 'bunkhouse' and I saw a variety of dirt bikes and four wheelers - seriously, there were about 10 dirt bikes and 4 four wheelers. These people were serious - there were trails everywhere, some with names like 'dead man's drop' that looked appropriately named. I was only thrown off/jumped one time, which I considered a success considering I had never ridden an ATV, and Jeremy came home with no broken bones. One guy went home with a dislocated shoulder, but that was the worst. The funny thing is these hosts were twice our age and they were the wildest riders! I knew it would be a long trip when, at midnight, David, the host husband said, "Okay, is everyone comfortable? Good, open the windows, we can't run the generator all night." Are you kidding me? He wasn't. It was fun. Some of our roommates were funny guys and we laughed for a while before drifting off.

I am adjusting to summer life (and loving it) and already beginning to think about next year. I'll teach Jrs., AP Jrs., and Srs. next year. I love British literature (Srs.) but not the attitude that seems to accompany Seniors. It will be fun because I had some good kids this year! I am seeing a lot of favoritism, cynicism, and negativity, so that is bothering me. I guess part of it is that I have always been one of the favorites and on the 'inside' but managed to incorporate everyone and not make anyone feel left out while that is not the case here. There are many deliberate, hurtful actions and words that I'm praying for wisdom on how to react. That could be your prayer for me...

No comments: