without blogging! I AM getting good at this "staying off the computer" thing! Here's the mundane as I'm still working on the spiritual stuff...
Today I was giving the TAKS retest (the seniors have just this and one other chance to pass or they don't graduate) on the computer. Online testing is new and since I've been involved in the implementation of other online testing, I was chosen to help instead of teaching my classes for the day (giving this test is like watching paint dry, by the way) :)! So, we start the day with no internet, phone or power in some testing rooms. You kind of have to have internet to give the test. My room was ready, so I had only a slight delay -the other rooms had an hour delay. We never lose both phone & internet at the HS, and even internet stays down briefly maybe once per year. For testing day, though, it made a special consideration! Ha!
I'm testing smoothly, aside from two kids trying to cheat. Then, at 12:10, the fire alarms go off. I know we don't do drills during testing, so this is for real or a false alarm. Either way, I have to evacuate my students. I need to evacuate, but I can't leave secure test documents. In the old world, you take all documents with you, but I can't really load up the internet and haul it outside. hmmm. I can't lock the door as it's not my room and I don't have a key. Hmmm again. So, I stand outside my door, watching and smelling for smoke. Eventually an assistant principal walks up and tells me to evacuate. I explain my situation, he/she shrugs and tells me to "hang in there." I smiled and laughed. Then, one of the counselors comes, tells me to evacuate and locks my door. Right as I start to walk away, the alarms stop. The security guard tells us a girl was smoking in the bathroom, and since smoke was detected, the fire dept. has to come and check the building. I just went back in the room and did some grading until all were returned.
So, I've given up cokes since Sunday, but this is the kind of nuttiness in life that makes me turn to Happy Hour at Sonic in just 10 minutes...I better go and get in the car to make it home in time to get the kids!
Life is too funny. Moral of the story: girls smoking in the bathroom make Mrs. White break her coke fast - actually it will be a glorious DP with cherry & vanilla! Isn't sad that I'm so OCD that this is the pathic thing that got me!
2 comments:
lol, i love your storys, they make me laugh
Mmmm... Sonic Happy Hour. :) I'd say it turned out okay in the end. Ha!
Post a Comment