11.22.2008

National Board Certified Teacher

About a year and a half ago I was quite frustrated with my school district. I felt as if I wasn't being trusted to do my job despite my teaching experience, proven results, and even a Master's in Education. So, I did what I usually do - I decided to prove that I knew what I was doing, and so I took on the National Board Certification process.

Well, as I got further into it (like $2000 from the State of Texas, $750 from a university, and had paid my own $1000), I discovered that it was truly like another Master's in many ways, condensed into a year's worth of time:
Analysis of Student Growth in Reading and Writing - select 2 students and for each student 2 essays, 1 written response to reading, 1 non-written response to reading;
Instructional Analysis - Whole Class Discussion - video and analysis of video
Instructional Analysis - Small Group - video and analysis
Documented Accomplishments - list continuing ed & analysis of how it helped the students

THEN, I went and took a 3 hour test for 6 different areas - Literary Analysis, Universal Themes, Teaching Writing, Teaching Writing, Language Study, and Analysis of Writing. In any case, after I finished the test and the portfolio, I really didn't think I would receive the certification. Scores wouldn't post until "prior to Dec. 31, 2008."

Scores posted last week - "You are a National Board Certified Teacher." Woo Hoo! Can I brag on myself and add that I'm only one of 2 in GISD? And, of only 406 in the state of Texas? No, I don't get anything special for it, except that feeling of accomplishment that I am here to share with you! :)

3 comments:

Eric and Ashley Wilkins said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment. You are so smart and should be SO proud of yourself. You deserve to brag a little! You go girl!

Rebecca said...

Congrats, girl! Way to go!! So what is God wanting to do with you now? :)

Lissa Michelle said...

that is so awesome, misti! you are such a good teacher and i am really proud of you for doing this. you should be so proud of yourself! i'm curious to know who is the other teacher in GISD who is certified. LOL. congrats!