This has been an exceptional week in my classroom.
I have had so much fun in Sheltered; it's been my favorite class to teach for two weeks now. No one in that class whines about doing work, no one is disrespectful, and they want to learn. Yesterday we were talking about having kids (who knows why) and Juan (name changed) said he wanted to have 4 kids. He then asked how many I wanted to have. "Two." "Why do white people always want to have just two kids?" I had to stop and think. First the 'white people' label startled me, and then I was struck by the depth of the whole conversation. So many 'white' people think of Mexicans (and that is what they prefer to be called, I asked. Hispanics are anyone from Spain, Portugal, Puerto Rico, and so forth. They are from Mexico, so they are Mexicans. But, you have to say it with respect when you're a white person or you're being racist. I'm learning a lot.)as just reproducing out of control. We think we're right in having just a few kids. But, what makes us right? Anyway, let's just say this is a great learning opportunity for me.
In AP, my other favorite classes, John (not his name) was absent. Joe (not his name) said, "Not having John in class is like not having Mr. T in the A Team." What a classic statement of awareness for a 16 year old to know about the A Team and how important Mr. T is to the team. Great insight, great simile, great allusion! You can't plan for those moments!
Oh, and my washer part came yesterday. Tomorrow I will resume my study of mechanics (really just following directions).
No comments:
Post a Comment