10.11.2008

The Solution


Meet Maggie



I felt that a cat was the perfect solution to the rat problem. I've wanted a cat for a while, so this just worked. Honestly, on my way to Wal Mart today, I found myself thinking, "There are usually free animals at Wal Mart on Saturdays." As I pulled into the parking lot I quickly scanned for "Free Kitten" signs. None. I did my shopping and came so close to buying cat food that I had it in my cart, but then I took it out. On the way out of the parking lot, I did another scan. "Free Kittens" was on a mini van, so over I went. 2 kitties, 7 weeks old, and they've been around dogs since they were born. I would have worried about health, but with Dr. White, I just didn't even think about it.

So, I took kitty, and we got in the car. She was great on the ride home - crawled up on my shoulder and rode there most of the way. The kids were so excited. I tried to introduce her to Howdy, and Howdy tried to eat her :(). So, Howdy is in his kennel & the kids played with Maggie all evening. Now Maggie is in the dog crate and Howdy is in his kennel.

Can I tell you I'm a hero? Now, if Maggie can survive two kids who are constantly carrying, loving, and chasing her, and a dog who thinks she's just another small, furry animal that he, as a retriever, should retrieve, we've got it made. We'll let little Maggie grow a little older and hang in the back yard a little longer and retry the introduction.

Oh, the picture in the crate is the picture Jenna drew for Maggie to "decorate her room." Later when Hudson made the comment, "she's just a cat," Jenna replied with, "No, he's another member of Team White." That's sweet. I can't tell you the memories this brings back. I've been a cat fan for a l o n g time. I can't tell you how many cats "followed me home" in various ways. So, to see Jen & H just watching her eat, made my heart feel good. This one, however, is staying outside!

6 comments:

Eric and Ashley Wilkins said...

She's really cute! Hopefully she will one day grow into a feisty rat scaring cat!! haha

Crystal Barbaree said...

congradulations on the cat. have fun. so you do have benadryl at your house right. when brent comes, now with a dog and a cat, benadryl is about a 90 percent chance. Haha.

AmyC said...

Maggie is adorable, as are the kiddos, of course! I LOVE the picture to decorate her room! SO sweet! :)

Jessica said...

Aw, I love her! One of my cats back at my parents house looks just like her!! She was sweet as a kitten, but then she turned kind of crazy. Maybe a good thing if yours does the same, since you want her to chase rats. :)

js said...

She's not ugly!!! I like her. I also love Jena's outfit!! Can't wait to meet little Maggie. I'm sure she'll do her job well.

Anonymous said...

Let her in...c'mon. Remember how it feels to have a warm, buzzing furball against your back as you fall asleep? Remember how it always seems like they know when you need a snuggle? Remember feeling like you are getting a really special gift when they climb in your lap, curl up, and purr themselves to sleep? Let her in, let her in, let her in...