9.02.2005

Refugee

Today was my first personal contact with Hurricane Katrina. During 4th period today, I met 'Angie.' I perkily asked Angie where she was from, and she told me, "New Orleans." My heart dropped. I asked her when she left, and she told me about a week ago. While we were visiting I found out that she knows nothing about the status of her home. She did know that it was in one of the areas that wasn't hit as badly, but the roof could be off and it could be looted already - her words. I asked her how she was taking all of this, and she replied, "It's kind of surreal, like it hasn't really happened." I've been a little emotional tonight. This girl is positive, ready to start in a new school. She had started doing her research paper in Louisiana, and she really wanted to keep working on her topic - talk about resilience!

On the home front. We're all good. We're getting ready to celebrate birthday #1 and birthday #3. I can't believe my baby is almost one and my baby girl is almost 3! Is that really possible? They are so precious.

No comments: