9.23.2005

Weekend

Finally. It is the weekend.

I survived the day research papers were due. You see, at GHS, if you don't submit a Junior research paper, you fail the ENTIRE trimester (we have trimesters instead of semesters, so I only have a class for 12 weeks instead of the usual 18). So, in an effort to head off disaster, I phoned 63 parents yesterday afternoon and evening. Whew-eee.

My students showed they actually cared about me yesterday. The forecast for Rita yesterday was that winds would gust here at 80 MPH. I hadn't really thought about it, but my students were all offering to help me move my stuff. I looked at them and asked what they meant. "Mrs. White, I hate to tell you this, but if the wind blows that hard, your classroom is blowing away. You better take your good stuff home." You know, I'm not sure a portable WOULD stay put in that situation. Luckily, they downgraded our risk. Of course, everyone offered to take home the "comfy chair" that I have for reading days...

I have no voice, thanks to the cold/allergy issue that I have had all week. I also seem to not be able to breathe through my nose, so I spend the night sleeping with my mouth open, and then wake up every hour feeling like I've been drinking sand. Decongestants just aren't helping.

The kids are awesome, check out Hudson's new trick. He can climb up on the kitchen table!

No comments: