8.12.2008

It was GREAT & the Guilt

Our Schlitterbahn trip was the greatest! We arrived at the park right upon opening and stayed until 6:30. No one sunburned! There are no pictures because I didn't want to risk the "good" camera, and I forgot the other one (plus, I just get frustrated with it because it won't let me do anything but zoom and decide if I want a flash or not - okay, a couple of other things, but nothing that really matters). There was only one worrisome moment - when we took H on some ride that my 'mommy gut' said "NO" to, but Dad said, "he'll be fine." He was. We got in the un-AC Jetta and jetted home. The kids were sooooo good about it! No whining, just an occasional, "I'm hot." I made the best of it and did some really bad dancing and hand waving out the sun roof. We arrived home at 12:30am, and I got up to go to work just 5 short hours later. I wasn't much good today, but I don't think I missed anything. Bed time tonight - 8:00 - no joke.

On another note, I try to sound all big and bad, but I'm really a rule follower at heart. I wanted to sneak off and sleep in my comfy chair in my room, but even if no one would have missed me, I wouldn't have done it. I wanted to slouch down and nod off, but I wouldn't dream of it. I wanted to surf the internet, but my integrity...no, really, they block all the sites I want to surf - no blogs, no personal email (so if you need me during the school day use misti.white@granburyisd.org), no shopping. However, as we were leaving, Mr. Higher Up in the District, makes the announcement (while looking right at ME), "Please remember, laptops are not permitted in the training rooms." Being the rule follower I am, I turned bright red and started babbling apologies like an idiot. I felt so GUILTY, and I didn't know we couldn't have them - really. And, I used it only for school tasks (because I can't use it for anything else because all the sites are blocked). I made my first day letter, student info sheet, and emailed info to my Junior team. Oh, and most importantly, I took some really good notes over what our presenter what teaching. That's how I work - I don't write, I type. Then, it's saved (unless I do something careless - see two posts back), and I don't have to worry about throwing away a piece of paper.

So, now that I'm over the embarrassment of breaking a rule, I'm mad. The district gives us this technology, lectures us TODAY about reaching Gen Y (which I found out I am by behavior, though I'm Gen X by birth year), how Gen Y is about technology & we need to meet them where they are and embrace technology, and now I can't bring the laptop into the room for training?!?! This is where I get aggravated with the education system...

But, overall it was a good day of seeing my friends, catching up, and getting in a routine. Tomorrow will commence the real routine since I'll be in bed at an hour that's not insane.

No comments: