8.01.2008

oral surgery success

L-R
1-3 pre-op, pre medication
4 reaching for imaginary balloons (aaarrn't theeeey beeaauutifuuullll?)
5 post op, a little heart wrenching
6 assurance for mom upon her questions about anesthetic & crashing while under
7 home mellow after chocolate indulgence
8 home & mellow
9 & 10 chocolate feast
I know some of you have wondered how it went. Terrific.

Sedation was quick, she doesn't remember the IV (though she awakened the dead while he put it in), and she woke well. Funny points: as the sedative hit, she started slurring her speech and reaching for imaginary balloons. It was FUNNY, even for the wigged out Mom that I was. After about 15 minutes in the waiting area, they came and told me how well she did, and they let me sit with her to wait for her to wake. There was one scary moment when her congestion had settled in her chest, she got choked, and then just stopped breathing long enough that the nurse started shaking her and slapping at her face a little saying, loudly, "Jenna, take a breath." I was okay until I could tell the nurse was worried, then I watched the O2 level drop to 0% on the monitor and started praying hard. She finally took a breath. I'm sure it happened fast, but it seemed like forever.

After we got home, her slurred speech and staggered walking kept me entertained. Her first request for food was brownies and the mix, and at that point she could have A N Y T H I N G she wanted. So, she ate chocolate cake mix, chocolate cake, and chocolate ice cream. Then the power went off as I was uploading the pictures. While the power was off and I was contemplating the next move, she asked me, "Mom, am I supposed to have strings in my mouth?" "Yes," and I explained the whole reason why. "I pulled them out." WHAT? Who pulls out stitches? Frantic call to the dentist who laughed, "I'm not surprised. She'll be fine." Then we loaded up and headed to my parent's house for some AC.

So, when we return home later tonight, I'll upload the pictures for your enjoyment.

Thank you for your prayers! I was calm, Jenna was calm, and all was well.

5 comments:

js said...

I'm so glad she's doing well!!!

Eric and Ashley Wilkins said...

Glad everything went smoothly. Sounds like she would be willing to go through it all over again for some triple chocolate delights!!! I took a few pictures tonight, but I need serious help. I only know how to do like 1 thing. AND, Eric bought me PhotoShop Elements for an Anniversary gift (yay), so I'm gonna need some more help with that. I'm such an amateur at everything!

Crystal Barbaree said...

she pulled the stitches out. she is crazy. had great pictures of hudsen, but somehow they got lost between the camera and the computer. so i lost them sorry.
crystal

The McElroy's said...

Glad to hear all is well! She is definitely a chocolate girl!!!

jo said...

Mmmm..chocolate