7.28.2005

Case Study

The Texas Dermatology Institute in Dallas is performing a study on pediatric patients who suffer from severe eczema. When the woman asked if Jenna was affected on 25% of her body, I laughed - YES. So, in two weeks we begin a study of a new medication for eczema. We could, of course, get the placebo, but we're hoping we get the real medicine and that it WORKS! We have to go off of our steroid creams for the next two weeks, and I'm a little worried. On one hand they don't seem to work anyway, and I know they are thinning her skin every time we use them, but then again, what if she gets worse and worse?

As for the derm. visit today, he gave us a new medicine which he called 'tar.' I have to check and see if that counts as a medication that we can't use for two weeks. He didn't seem very optimistic that allergies were the problem, but I just have a gut feeling (though a non-MD, I will admit) that it could be solved with a good allergy study on Jen. He was willing to try the Narrowband light therapy. Upon entering the "spaceship," Jenna was very excited, however, when the doors were closed, she screamed her head off. I'm willing to let her scream for 1 minute of therapy, but they weren't. He did give me the name of a derm. in Fort Worth who has the treatment, and he thought would be willing to "bend over backwards" to help.

I feel like all I do is whine about Jenna, and I realize there are kids with problems worse than hers, it just hurts me so much to see her suffer that I really can't express the pain I feel. I started crying when she wouldn't stay in the booth because I just want to try ANYTHING that will help. On top of that, Hudson has it. If you compare Jen's at his age with his, his is already worse, which just makes me sick to think about BOTH of them suffering with this!

On a lighter note, Lake Highlands Youth are here for a short mission trip while they go out and do servant evangelism to spread the love of Christ and promote StoneWater. It is great to see old faces and new, and share some time together. Of course, my favorite is having Mel here!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Bless Jenna's little heart! I hope that you guys are able to find something that makes her feel better...then maybe it can work on Hudson, too. I'll be keeping them (and you and Jer) in my prayers. I know it hurts to see them in so much pain, especially when there is nothing that mommy or daddy can do to make it go away.