8.18.2005

School Days

First of all, I love high school. Yesterday was my first day of school, and I relished in it. They got my jokes, were respectful, and mostly focused...until 5th period. I haven't looked at the test data from last year yet, but I bet I have a lot of students who didn't pass. Unfortunately for 4 of them, I can tell they are very intelligent and very annoyed by their juvenile classmates.


Before I left yesterday morning(the first day of school), Jeremy told Jen we were going to pray. Jenna jumped right in with the best prayer she has ever said. She prayed for "mommy to have a good day and fun, mommy not to itch, me not to itch, and come home and play." I had a itching bump that she's implored me not to scratch. Hudson then waddled over and, clear as he has ever said a word, said "bye bye" as he buried his head in my lap. It was SO sweet that they BOTH knew I needed extra love.

Today started well, I figured out my approach for the day. I turned on the overhead - nothing. It worked just two days ago, but I checked the bulb. It looked fine. Tried again - nothing. So, I walked all the in and got a new bulb. Changed it - nothing. So, I carried the whole overhead in, got a new one, and carried it out. Set it up and, nothing. So, then I tried a lamp - nothing. Only one outlet out of 7 was working. So, today's lesson was greatly modified since I have a chalk board that is half covered with paper to serve as an overhead screen. I was LIVID. I filled a second service request and emailed the powers that be. During 4th period there was pop and the lights dimmed as the air cut on. By the end of 5th period I noticed it was getting warm and the temp was up to 80. When I left today I just threw the main breaker...we'll see tomorrow morning.

You have to know that just Wednesday I got word that the principal was working to move me into the building. But, knowing that it would displace another teacher, and not wanting to be the new kid on the block that gets everything she wants, I emailed her and told her I would rather stay put. I have found plenty of positives to my little schoolhouse. Ask me again today how I feel!

The bright point of the day today was the fact that I discovered, if I stand by one of my windows and put my laptop against the window, propped up on three books, I CAN get internet access from the building. The signal is weak, but there. So, that is helpful - I can submit attendance, read email, and access the grade system. This school communicates almost solely by email, so I have felt rather cut off from the world the last couple of days!

Hudson stayed home ill again today, but I think he's fine for tomorrow. I just can't wait until Saturday!

No comments: